Calling professionals who worked in the NHS 50 or 60 years ago

I’m starting work on a new book. As part of this, I’m keen to speak to doctors, nurses, midwives, axillary nurses, porters, radiographers, technicians, anyone who worked in the NHS many decades ago – you may have retired recently or a few years back, but have had experience of the NHS in any part of the UK when it began, or in the 50s, 60s, or 70s. I started as a medical student in 1988, started work in 94, and thus am missing direct experience of a great deal of the great NHS story.

Ideally I’d plan time to have conversation with you face to face, probably taking about an hour or so. I will record it and will hopefully use some in a book that will probably take another year to write.

I’m keen to talk to as wide a range of people as possible. I’m on margaret@margaretmccartney.com, and hope to hear from you!

7 Responses to “Calling professionals who worked in the NHS 50 or 60 years ago”

1. Jane April 10, 2015 at 3:47 pm #

have worked within NHS as an agency nurse for 30 yrs. Prior to that was a permanent ward sister & trained in 66 so coming up to retirement! Had enough!

2. christine aram April 10, 2015 at 10:45 pm #

I trained as a nurse from 1973-6 and as a midwife in 76-77 recently retired.

3. Penny Ballinger April 11, 2015 at 12:01 am #

Hello, I started work as a Nursing Auxiliary with people with learning difficulties, firstly with children in a children’s hospital then at an adult hospital that ran like a boarding school on the Devon Coast. At that time the state very firmly took responsibility for care. The fact that elderly parents now struggle to look after adult children with learning difficulties and the prospect of day centres being closed, or adults with learning difficulties live independently with carers visiting ( or care is cut off to save money) well not sure that the Briggs Report which closed these units anticipated that. I have since worked as a nurse and a health visitor and even qualified as a doctor at a ripe old age… But I can see changes that would have made Bevan weep.

4. Roy Simpson May 4, 2015 at 3:01 pm #

First worked at De La Pole hospital as a gardener 1955 t0 1960

Student Mental Nurse 1960
    student General Nurse 1964
    Worked on Thoracic surgery units, general medicine and neurology /neurosurgical units.
    Worked in general hospitals Dip Nursing(London) 1969
    RNT 1972 working in Psychiatry (De La Pole Hospital East Yorkshire)
    BSc Psychology 1979
    Nurse tutor until 1994 surplus to requirements under P2000 (early retirement)

5. Bernice Boss May 10, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

I have four nursing qualifications plus first degree and a Ph D. You may be interested in the thesis as it concerns the medical care of the fully employed men/women in Bristol in the mid-18th cen. who were too poor to finance their own medical care. It can be downloaded free on EThOS by keying in Bernice Boss. (Incidentally I was sponsored by Bristol Royal Infirmary as part of their 250th anniversary celebrations to carry out the research. Can you imagine such generosity now? The funding was drawn on long-standing legacies which they were able to keep when the NHS was instituted.

Best wishes in your own research

• margaretadmin May 10, 2015 at 10:09 pm #

great, will look it up – thanks

6. Miguel November 11, 2015 at 8:24 am #

Communication skills, genttig to understand the needs of the patient, service user or member of staff, working together as a unit and not the least shall be treated the worst. If every one worked towards the best for each other, then work would be a commitment and the job supporting the service user, patient or whoever would be a lot easier.It has to happen both ways.Care has left the vocabulary of health and social care workers there may not be a lot of time in the day as so many things have to be done, but have you made someone feel they matter, then that is going to go a long way to a better life. Yes we all matter in this world, without human beings it wouldn’t be the same. If we were all the same we would be robots. Thank God you and I are not.To feed Serice user and patient feedback into the curriculum, then ask them to participate. Ok not when they are on ITU but experience talked about i a local training environment enables improvements to be made. They say information should be cascaded from the highes to lowest, but has anyone thought that through training and education the newest of students can be made more aware of how people like to be treated as they are usually more in contact than the trained staff.Let them lead by example and learning and educate the old hands through challenging older held beliefs.As a Service User and a Patient I have used my understanding and experience to talk to students and make them aware of what is good care and what should not be tolerated. Let it cascade upwards through a fountain of good share experience, trial , openess to new ideas to suit the Service users and patients, Staff and Workers whoever is in contact with the User of Services